1. What has been taking up time at the Moaklers these days? Why, the Great 227 Hamilton Deck Build 2009. We actually have at least half of the deck built right about now, thanks to all Dean's hard work and my very sad and profanity-filled attempts at using a drill to screw the deck boards down. I will be excited to finally have outdoor space to sit, eat and entertain. Our next step? Why, throwing a big old deck party, of course.
2. I have been so very tired this last few weeks, thanks in part to my long recovery time from the pneumonia I was diagnosed with a while back. The upside has been that I am forced to take more relaxing time for myself; reading, napping and such. Not enough, mind you, but more than normal.
3. Speaking of reading, I have finished the first two of the "Twilight" books. I did enjoy them, they were certainly engaging. I found myself not wanting to put them down until I read on. Yet, I don't love, love them like some have. I think Harry Potter is much better.
4. I got a wee little iPod shuffle when we were in the apple store in Vegas, waiting for Dean to purchase his iPod touch. I was unsure how I would like the decreased control over the play list that the shuffle provides, but it was inexpensive and I wanted something to wear on walks. I carefully selected 250 songs on the weekend and loaded it up. I love it! When put on shuffle, each upcoming song is a surprise. And because it holds such a limited amount of music, it was necessary to pick songs that I really, really love, which means each song is a pleasant surprise at that.
5. I am hoping the new iPod inspires me to get out and walk a bit more, and that will be the first of many positive lifestyle changes to come. Boy, have I been putting on weight, and it needs to stop. Actually, I really need to take off some weight. Though I've been on the more "traditionally built" side for a while, it need not be, steroids be damned. It's the two biggies I'm not happy about - how clothes fit and how I'm looking in pictures. I have a wedding to attend in early October. I would really like to be looking good in a dress by then, and be ready for any photo opportunities that present themselves.
6. The only reason I'll be happy for weight gain is if I get pregnant, which I'm unhappy to report I am not. The fertility treatment process has been long and frustrating, thanks in part to vacationing doctors and months waiting for a procedure because all appointments are booked up. International adoption is under serious consideration.
7. Hunter has been our dog for more than 4 months now, and seems settled and content. Much tail wagging, licking and begging for food occur daily. We are both enjoying the companionship of a four legged family member again, but I still tear up thinking of Abby at times.
8. It's been a weird weather combination of warm and humid (neither which Newfoundland is known for) that has made the last week or more feel so hot and sticky. And me + heat = absolutely nothing good. People are shaking their heads and wondering how I survived in New Orleans. It's called air conditioning, which every building and vehicle down south is equipped with and comparatively few are here.
9. I am in desperate need of a pedicure, haircut and eyebrow waxing. Sigh, I've let myself go.
10. Looks like the Moaklers will take New Jersey in the new year. Dean has been given a generous offer from his employer to complete an 18 month Masters in Engineering at Rutger's University, including all school expenses paid plus part of his salary in the form of educational and living allowances to boot. There are many reasons that this is great, many more why I am freaked out about it. Though when the offer was first made, it was for September. The move of the start date to January was God's way of making me less freaked out about it all, it seems. After gearing up to have to move within weeks, having months of preparation seems like a breeze right about now. Ask me again in November...